Opening Times & Event Info
Dr Neil's Garden is open every day including weekends from 10 am till Dusk.
- Illustrated Talk "Making Time in the Sun" Thursday 9/3/17 19:30
The Garden Room
- The Garden Room is now open again for Summer 2017. Opening Hours are:
•Wednesday to Saturday 10:00 to 16:00
•Sunday 13:00 to 14:00
For more information on events and special weekends see the What's On page.
No dogs allowed
Friends of the Garden
We started a ‘Friends’ group to encourage all those who love the Garden to support us, both financially and in practical ways by volunteering in the Garden or by using special skills to help fund raise etc.
As a Friend of The Garden you will be supporting the maintenance and future development of this extraordinary garden.
To date we have approximately 300 Friends which is such an encouragement to us during these difficult times. It has, we believe been a source of great satisfaction to the Friends also, who are able to help in many ways to keep the Garden alive. However, our aim is to have 1000 Friends and we continue to work towards achieving this number and very importantly, keeping them renewed on an annual basis.
Renewal of membership
It is now time for the first of our members to renew their subscription and we are trying to find ways to make this as easy as possible for you to do so.
Therefore, when you get a renewal notification from us, you may wish to renew in one of the following ways:
- Setting up a Standing Order to be paid every year to our bank account, Sort Code: 83 19 23 Account No: 00693242.
- Visiting our “Support Us” page on the website and donating through Paypal
- By sending a cheque for £10 to our Friends Administrator, Christine Carlton at 8 Mountcastle Drive South, Edinburgh EH15 1QB
Alternatively you can support via PayPal, however, then we won’t have your details.
We hope that we can count on your continued support to enable us to finance the garden and keep this beautiful area open to the public.
Sign up to become a Friend of Dr Neil’s Garden
Become a Friend of the Garden for only £10 per year, and play a part in keeping this unique garden alive. Your support and interest will help towards all aspects of garden maintenance and allow us to keep the Garden available as an important amenity for the local community and beyond. To become a Friend of the Garden you can subscribe using one of the options below:
- email: email@example.com
- call 0131 661 7444 for an application to be sent to your home.
- pick up an application from our gardener on site.
- We hope to have an annual garden party for our ‘Friends’ at which time you will be able to meet other Friends and bring your friends and family too.
- We will offer reduced hire charge to Friends for the Thomson Tower within the garden suitable for receptions and small gatherings.
- Concessionary prices will be offered for Events and Open Days
- We will notify you and offer priority booking for events in the garden and fundraisers such as workshops, concerts, Christmas wreath making etc.
- By printing out and filling in our application form, downloadable here.
As above we now have over 300 Friends and are delighted when you come along on any events to meet each other, catch up as well as to enjoy the garden.
AIRS ON A SHOESTRING
Saturday 23rd April 2016 7.30pm in Duddingston Kirk
An entertaining evening of Words & Music
Jacqueline Edwards (Mezzo-Soprano & Pianist) entertained us last year with her “Frog in my Throat” concert of words and music.
This was so successful we have begged her to return again this year to perform “Airs on a Shoestring” which promises to be equally entertaining.
I encourage you not to miss it and to bring a friend along.
Tickets are £10 or £9 for Friends of Dr Neils Garden. This includes refreshments during the interval.
Tickets are available from Susan Mercer, 4 Old Church Lane, EH15 3PX (Tel 0131 661 2931) or Barbara Anderson (0131 661 7444) or, at the door on the night.
GARDENER’S QUESTION TIME
Tuesday 3rd May 2016 7.30pm in the Kirk Hall, Duddingston
A panel of experts will answer your gardening questions.
Hosted by Beryl McNaughton, founder of MacPlants, with panellists Lizz Paterson, Manager of Duddingston Glebe Project and our very own Claudia Pottier, Manager of Dr Neils Garden. You can bring your dying or temperamental plants along for examination !
Tickets are £5 and can be obtained from Susan Mercer, 4 Old Church Lane, EH15 3PX (Tel 0131 661 2931) or Barbara Anderson (0131 661 7444) or, at the door on the night.
OPEN WEEKEND IN AID OF SCOTLAND’S GARDEN SCHEME
Saturday & Sunday 22nd and 23rd May 2016 12.30pm – 5pm
Dr Neils Garden is pleased to be part of Scotland’s Gardens again this year. Raising funds for a number of charities under this auspice.
Plants will be on sale, and our gardener, Claudia will be on hand in the nursery to advise. Teas are available.
£3 entry including entry to the Thomson Tower
Sunday 11th September 1pm – 5pm
The garden will have a special open afternoon to coincide with the Riding of the Marches through Duddingston Village at 3pm.
Other community gardens within the Village will be open that day.
Plants will be on sale along with other stalls selling garden produce and the like.
Teas served from 2pm
£3 entry including entry to the Thomson Tower
Sunday 25th September 2016 2pm – 4pm
The Thomson Tower and Garden are delighted to have been chosen again to ‘Open their Doors’ for the Cockburn Trust’s very popular Open Doors Weekend on the Sunday.
Teas will be served in the Garden Room Café
Admission is free
Registered charity No SC028197